What is the course about?
Study and sing the choral movements of Durufle’s Requiem over two days: Intriot, Kyrie and In Paradisum. If time allows we will also learn Domine Jesu Christe.
Please contact the music office before enrolling so we know your voice type.
What will we cover?
- Each session will begin with a choral warm-up
- Learn the chorus parts to selected movements in SATB harmony
- Improve choral blend, confidence singing in a choir and music reading skills
- Learn about the structure, texts and history of Durufle’s requiem.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Sing the relevant chorus parts to piano accompaniment
- Display increased confidence with choral singing
- Increase your familiarity with Durufle’s musical textures
- learn to recognise Durufle’s use of Gregorian chant.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
A basic level of music reading is required and you should have had some previous experience of singing in choirs. The level of this course is intermediate (not advanced) so we will rehearse each line carefully to help you learn the music. You will not be expected to have sight-reading skills but you will need to learn the music in just two days. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in English.
Do feel free to email any questions to the tutor: Send Mail.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Tutor presentation and explanation, including handouts
- Guided listening and watching of audio and audio-visual examples
- Class discussion and debate
- Listening and reading outside class is encouraged and once enrolled further online resources will be available via Google classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a pencil to mark your score. Choral scores will be provided.
If you would like to hear the Requiem before taking part in this workshop, click here to view a recommended recording of Durufle’s Requiem by Westminster Cathedral Choir [external website].
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit's choral singing courses include Choir at Lunchtime courses (Monday, Wednesday), Choral singing for Pleasure. You may also be interested in singing technique classes, which begin with Basic technique for singing.
If you are new to City Lit singing classes, please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a singing class at City lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes. You could also drop in to one of our advice sessions where we can hear you sing and help you choose the right course. Please bring a piece to sing with simple piano accompaniment.
We also offer a wide range of Music appreciation and musicianship classes at all levels throughout the academic
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details