Come and sing: Guys and Dolls
Time: 11:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: MF820B
Duration: 2 sessions
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Course times: Saturday 11:00 - 17:00, Sunday 11:00 - 15:00
Explore the most famous parts of this wonderful musical and learn to love it even more through the detail. Conquer some of the trickier rhythms and ensemble numbers in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Working with experienced tutors and accompanists, leading to a sing through in the final session on Sunday afternoon.
What will we cover?
- Each session will begin with a group warm-up
- Learn the selected pieces in various formats
- Technical and musical help for each musical line where appropriate
- Improving vocal tone, confidence singing the repertoire and music reading skills
- Interpretive skills to maximise the impact of your story-telling.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Display increased confidence singing the repertoire
- Display a greater understanding of the material in the wider context of the sory and the setting
- Increase your familiarity with 20th century musical textures
- Demonstrate a deeper understanding of the characters through your musiscal interpretation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
A basic level of music reading is required and you should have had some previous experience of singing (either solo or choral). The level of this course is intermediate (not advanced) so we will rehearse each line carefully to help you learn the music. You will not be expected to have sight-reading skills but you will need to familiarise yourself with a lot of music very quickly.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions.
There may be opportunities for solos; please email the Music department if you are interested.
Do feel free to email any questions to the tutor in advance.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Tutor presentation and explanation, including handouts
- Practical rehearsal of the material
- Listening and reading outside class is encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a pencil and eraser to mark your score. Scores will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit's choral singing courses include Choir at Lunchtime, Choral singing for pleasure and City Lit Choir. You may also be interested in singing technique classes, which begin with Singing 1, or a course in Jazz or Pop, rock and soul singing. The tutors will be able to advise you on the right level for you. You can also find more information on our blog: Choosing a singing class at City Lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes.
We also offer a wide range of Music appreciation and musicianship classes at all levels throughout the academic
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.