What is the course about?
We explore and analyse classic and modern sketch comedy, identify the key tricks to creatie your own
comedy. Explore techniques to develop and perform your own comedy writing from one-liner to monologue. Each participant will create new comedy writing for analysis and performance; produce good scripts, characters and jokes/ Know how to structure your work, write and perform your monologues and sketches, and discover where and how to pitch your ideas, For all platforms, TV and Digital.
What will we cover?
• how to identify comedy words
• recognise joke & sketch structure
• analysis of classic sketches & monologues
• generate ideas for comedy
• writing and pitching new comedy ideas.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify several starting points for comedy characters and sketches
• Describe how to develop running sketches for your characters
• Create and perform your own comedy pieces, monologues and short-form ideas.
• Appreciate different media outlets for comedy expression.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Some experience of writing and/or performing comedy would be an advantage, but complete novices are
welcome. You will need to be able to:
• Speak English fluently and clearly
• read a script accurately
• give and receive constructive feedback
• take notes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
We will study and discuss comedy clips. In the session there will be a mix of writing, exercises, games and
improvisation work. You will need to write and do some research outside the sessions. As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to continue onto other related courses such as Comedy: sitcom writing, Acting for radio, Screen
acting, or other Performance skills for actors.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on
Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details.