What is the course about?
This course will develop your English for the workplace. You will focus on how to write different business communications – for example, reports, letters, summaries, minutes, copy for websites. You will develop your presentation skills so you can present information on different aspects of your company - for example, markets, customers, products and pricing. You’ll learn about presenting figures and charts such as numbers, percentages, trends, graphs, bar charts and tables. You will practise explaining cause and result, making comparison through SWOT analyses, and using the right language for video/tele-conferences. At the same time your vocabulary will grow for a variety of business settings.
What will we cover?
• how to write different business communications – for example, reports, letters, summaries, minutes, copy for websites
• presentation skills to present information on different aspects of a company - for example, markets, customers, products and pricing
• presenting figures and charts such as numbers, percentages, trends, graphs, bar charts and tables
• explaining cause and result
• making comparison through SWOT analyses
• using the right language for video/tele-conferences
• initiating conversations
• developing & sustaining dialogue
• closing a conversations.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• work more confidently in a business and work setting
• write different business communications to a high level - reports, letters, summaries, minutes, copy for websites
• present information on different aspects of a company - for example, markets, customers, products and pricing using vocabulary effectively and structuring your presentation well
• present and talk about figures and charts such as numbers, percentages, trends, graphs, bar charts and tables
• explain cause and result e.g. at a business meeting
• conduct comparisons through SWOT analyses
• use the right language for video/tele-conferences
• initiate business and work conversations
• develop & sustain dialogues at work
• close a conversation effectively and politely.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Level 1-Level 2 ie. good intermediate to advanced (B2-C1). It is ideal for anyone who is currently working in business or for a company which requires you to write reports, make presentations, engage in complex dialogue. The course will also prepare you for this work if you are not already in it.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a dynamic course with students encouraged to participate actively in class with lots of role play and independent work. You will need to do some work outside the classroom to get the most from this course. You will develop research skills through use of the internet and other sources.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Our other business English courses would be excellent - English for Business and Business - Find the Right word: Advanced. There are also our short Communicating at Work course on presentations, report writing and meetings. However, there are many courses you could do next or at the same time. You could do one of our general L1 or L2 ESOL classes. Or you could do a course without an exam e.g. Read Well, Write Well, Advanced Writing Skills in Practice, Grammar in Practice: Upper Intermediate, Matters of Opinion, ESOL and Making Podcasts, ESOL and Film, ESOL and Singing. Cambridge English: Advanced might also be suitable as would our ESOL Pronunciation Stage 1. Your tutor will advise you on the best course for you.