Communication skills for business: using drama to communicate with impact (level 2)
Time: 10:00 - 12:30
Location: Keeley Street
You need to do a pre-course assessment activity to make sure this is the right course for you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 8078 0489 to book a face-to-face appointment. Or click the Start Assessment button on this page.
This course is FREE if you are employed and on a low wage or you are claiming benefits. For more information Click here
Check your level
- Course Code: AEBCI02
- Dates: 23/04/24 - 21/05/24
- Time: 10:00 - 12:30
- Taught: Tue, Daytime
- Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: AEBCI02
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This is course is about developing your skills to be highly competent speaker at work, able to engage others not only through the content of what you say, but also its delivery. You will focus on using techniques used by actors to create effect as well as on how to highlight and bring out the meaning of what you are saying. You will work on your listening skills to pick up on what others are saying. You will also learn how to manipulate your voice and improvise. You will do this within different business contexts such as meetings, pitches, negotiating and presenting.
What will we cover?
• analysing texts to identify what to emphasise and how
• using your voice to create different effects
• pacing your talks to keep an audience engaged
• listening actively to respond effectively in meetings
• pausing to create effect in meetings and negotiations
how to speak with minimal notes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• analyse texts to identify what to emphasise and how
• use your voice to create different effects
• pace your talks to keep an audience engaged
• listen actively to respond effectively in meetings
• pause to create effect in meetings and negotiations.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at people who work in business or in the public sector who wish to develop their communication skills in a work environment. It is particularly suitable for those who are wanting to become managers or who are new to their role. However, it will also be of benefit to anyone who regularly engages with people as part of their work.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The focus will be on using the techniques and skills used by actors, but you do not need any particular acting skills. Due to the interactive and participatory approach, you will continually practising the most important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. Your tutor will work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Communication skills for business: how to tell a story with data in your writing and presentations (level 2)
• Communication skills for business: how to be clear, concise and organised in your writing (level 2)
• Core management skills: leading and building teams (introduction)
• Core management skills: organising, delegating, decision-making (introduction)
• Core management skills: developing your coaching skills (introduction)
• Workplace communication with digital skills: English for the office and business (intermediate level 1-level 2)
• Business administration with digital skills: communication skills in a business environment (advanced level 2)
• Communication skills: grammar foundation (level 1-2)
• Communication skills: develop your English for social media - blogs, vlogs and TikTok (level 1-level 2)
• Communication skills: develop your English for social media - podcasting (level 1-level 2)
• Communication skills: develop your English for social media - website writing (level 1-level 2)
You can combine these courses with classes in the maths and digital skills area. Such as:
• Maths for business: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
• Maths for business with Excel: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
• Digital skills for business: visualising data with Excel - from column charts to scatter plots (intermediate)
• Digital skills for business: creating impacting business presentations with PowerPoint (intermediate)
• Digital skills for business: how to present and communicate data integrating Word, PowerPoint and Excel - a project-based approach (advanced)
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 4582 0423.