Communication skills: how to speak with confidence inside and outside work (ESOL entry 3- level 1)
Time: 15:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
You need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 8078 0489 for a face-to-face assessment or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name).
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
Check your level
- Course Code: ESP01
- Dates: 06/02/24 - 19/03/24
- Time: 15:00 - 17:00
- Taught: Tue, Daytime
- Duration: 7 sessions (over 7 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: ESP01
Duration: 7 sessions (over 7 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will help you with the English you need to interact with people inside and outside work and help develop your confidence in speaking and listening. You will practise the type of language you need when talking to customers face-to-face, by phone and on chat. You will focus on how to advise people, give them information, make recommendations, and persuade them to buy things. You will work on your listening skills so you can listen, talk and take messages at the same time. You will develop your informal language so you can chat to work colleagues.
What will we cover?
• talking to customers face-to-face, by phone and on chat
• talking to strangers and to friends
• advising people verbally
•giving information verbally
•making recommendations verbally
•persuading people to buy things
•listening , talking and taking messages at the same time.
•making small talk with work colleagues
•showing confidence and authority.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• talk confidently and engagingly to customers face-to-face, by phone and on cha
• talk to strangers and friends confidently
• advise people when speaking with good pronunciation and accurate language
•give information in different situations with good pronunciation and accurate language
•make recommendations when speaking with good pronunciation
•persuade people to buy things using good pronunciation and accurate language
•listen, talk and take messages at the same time on the phone
•make small talk with work colleagues
•show confidence and authority when talking with others.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Entry 3-Level 1 (B1-B2). It is particularly helpful to students who are working with people or who would like to. You need to do a pre-course assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover rules and features of English. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks and role play so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are lots of courses you can do at the same time or after this course. These include:
• ESOL - communication skills for life and work (entry 3 speaking and listening)
• ESOL - communication skills for life and work (entry 3 reading and writing)
• ESOL: Learn English and learn about London, its people and your rights (entry 3-level 1)
• ESOL: Develop your speaking and listening skills (entry 3-level 1)
• Workplace communication skills: how to be confident and do well in interviews (ESOL entry 3-level 1)
• ESOL - communication skills for life and work (level 1 speaking and listening)
• Grammar in practice: upper intermediate (level 1-2)
• ESOL: communication skills for work and life - formal, informal, polite, challenging conversation and writing (level 1-2)
• ESOL: communication skills for work and life - letters, emails, meetings, presentations and reports (level 1-2
You can also do classes in the maths and digital skills areas. These include:
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 4582 0423.