What is the course about?
Take your drawing into exciting new directions – build on your existing skills and discover new ways of working, experiment with different techniques and find out where your drawings will take you next.
Be inspired by experimental drawing techniques and the work of comtemporary artists. From initial sketches and additional research through to a series of final drawings - we will work from observation, our own research and imagination.
What will we cover?
- Source material and development of subject matter eg sketchbook ideas, working from photographs and
- Experimenting with image making materials i.e. drawing materials and mixing media and collage.
- Discussion of the visual language in drawing
- Issues in contemporary drawing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw with more confidence using a variety of different methods
- Use drawing as a means of recording, exploration and self-expression
- Use a sketchbook/photograph as a research tool for a drawing/artwork
- Expand and develop your initial visual ideas using a variety of drawing materials and processes
- Make a sustained drawing or series of works over several weeks
- Develop your ability to make decisions about the development of your own work
- Use the work of current artists as a reference and influence on your own drawing practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Intermediate – you should have drawing experience / completed our Drawing 1 course or an equivalent. Come with an open mind and a willingness to try things out and develop your work further.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstrations and presentations, practical exercises, handouts, collaborative group-work and individual tasks, group and one-to-one discussions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials are included.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.