What is the course about?
On this creative practical course you will learn how to use a range of selection tools, retouching tools, filters and layers to combine elements of images to create exciting, seamless collages. Learn how to use this professional software to unleash your imagination.
What will we cover?
- Researching and downloading images with appropriate pixel dimensions
- Creating selections using the lasso selection tools and the magic wand tool
- Cutting and pasting elements of an image across different documents
- Working with layers
- Resizing and rotating selections of your image
- Retouching elements of your image using the clone tool
- Applying and modifying filters to layers
- Merging layers
- Saving your image in an appropriate format.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Research, select and download images with appropriate pixel dimensions
- Create selections using a range of selection tools and cut and paste selections into a new document.
- understand how to work with layers
- transform elements of your image
- Retouch elements of your image using the clone tool
- Apply filters to layers
- Merge layers and flatten image
- Save your image in an appropriate format.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can revise and develop your skills further in VK336 Creative collages in Photoshop or VG282 Photoshop: stage 2. City Lit offer a range of courses in Graphic Design, Illustration, Animation, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign to enhance your Design practice.