What is the course about?
This course will explore elements of language, style and structure within creative non-fiction. Different genres of creative non-fiction will be examined through in-class analysis and writing exercises.
What will we cover?
- Core genres within creative non-fiction.
- Tone and perspective in creative non-fiction.
- Language techniques in creative non-fiction.
- Structural elements of creative non-fiction.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop their understanding of genres within creative non-fiction
- Use tone and perspective for effect in your writing
- Use language and structural techniques for effect in your writing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introductory course. Students will need to be able to read and write fluently in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through a mix of pair work, group work, extract analysis, writing exercises and tutor instruction.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring writing materials such as pen and paper to class for your notes and writing exercises.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit runs a range of courses in creative non-fiction. For more information please browse our website.