What is the course about?
This is an introductory course which covers core elements of the creative non-fiction genre from first principle. Students will be encouraged to think creatively and imaginatively about their approach to writing their own creative non-fiction.
What will we cover?
What is creative non-fiction?
How do we constructively analyse a creative non-fiction text?
Which core language and structural techniques are used for effect?
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop your understanding of the creative non-fiction genre.
- Constructively analyse creative non-fiction texts.
- Write your own creative non-fiction pieces.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No formal requirements except a good standard of literacy and a love of reading.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Analysis of short pieces in class through group discussion.
- Pair work and group work.
- Regular individual short writing exercises.
- Formal instruction from the teacher combined with group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The Writing department offers a range of creative writing courses, including Autobiographical writing, Biography writing, Writing a memoir and The art of the personal essay.