What is the course about?
This is a practical and creative based course that will introduce you to the art of therapeutic movement and dance.
The course is underpinned by Somatics practice, which is a field within bodywork and movement practice which places focus on deepening one’s awareness of the body and the processes going on within through engaging with internal physical perception and experience.
The course will enable you to creatively explore your physicality through the experience of movement, allowing you to learn and discover your body’s capacity for self care. You will engage in simple, gentle and uncomplicated dance exercises and simple sequences that will encourage you to engage more freely with your body. Through a physical journey of exploration, facilitated through a dialogue of rhythm and embodied imagery, you will be able to more freely access the imagination, energise the body and relax the mind, so as to better look after yourself, for a more active and balanced life of freedom and ease.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
This course is a movement practice that uses a creative and centred approach to improving health and wellbeing. The practice is influenced by various therapeutic body-work methods and techniques such as: Authentic Movement, Body Mind Centring (BMC), movement meditation, breathe work and dance and relaxation techniques, as well as exploring through creative processes the fundamentals of movement, body stretching techniques and sensory awareness to help you sense and connect to the processes going on within, in order to optimise the opportunity for self care.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use various therapeutic based exercises to help you improve and maintain your fitness and health.
• Physically express yourself by developing your movement and dancing skills while building your self esteem and confidence.
• Develop you musicality
• Breathe correctly to allow your body to function in a harmonious manner.
• Reduce and manage mental and emotional stress, muscular tension and anxiety.
• Improve your mobility, co-ordination, posture and balance to reduce the risk of physical illness, accidents and injuries.
• Develop a more conscious awareness of yourself so that you are able to self diagnose negative changes in your body.
• Through movement meditation, you will learn how to gain more of a focused and realistic perspective on where you are in your life, who you are, and how you can fulfil the potential that lies within and ahead of you.
• The course will also give you the opportunity to meet different people, make new friends and increase your social circle.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The class is general level, open to all levels as the class will be adapted to the student’s ability.
The skills needed are co-ordination and basic fitness, equally these skills will develop further throughout the course.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Follow spoken instructions
• Use numbers to recognise rhythms within dance.
• Work within groups and pairs safely.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be led by a qualified educator who is a practicing professional within the field of study. You will be taught within a guided learning, group environment, through a variety of studio based activities, demonstrations, explorations and various reflective processes. All work will be carried out during these studio based sessions.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please wear clothing that does not restrict your movement and allows you to adapt to changes in your body temperature. Bare feet or anti-grip socks should be used except in exceptional cases to be discussed with the teacher. We recommend a dance belt be worn by men and all students to tie their hair back if it is long for their own safety and comfort. Please remove jewellery for both comfort and health and safety.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Continue with this class or try one of our many other Dance courses.