Deaf history part 1
Time: 17:30 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: QH100
Duration: 6 sessions (over 7 weeks)
What is the course about?
You will find out about the history of Deaf people in Britain and how the evolution of British Sign language (BSL) and the manual alphabet have influenced the development of the Deaf Community.
This is a live course. You need an internet connection. The classes work best with the Chrome browser.
A computer with a camera is best – e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook. BSL classes do not need a microphone as it is visual.
iPad/smartphone/iPhone are not suitable – they are too small.
We will contact you with joining instruction and netiquette for BSL class.
What will we cover?
- the history of sign language and the manual alphabet in Britain
- BSL in the present day: research in BSL; campaign for the official recognition of BSL
- the development of Deaf organisations
- well-known Deaf people throughout history
- social and community life: the meaning of 'Deaf Community'; institutions and activities in the Deaf Community
- education: sign language in the education of Deaf children throughout the centuries; the role of BSL in education today.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- describe the history of the Deaf Community in Britain
- describe the evolution of BSL
- describe the relationship between BSL and the development of the Deaf Community.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course content is at level 1. The course is taught in BSL and so you will need at least level 2 skills in order to follow the teaching. You will not need an interview .– you can enrol directly.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes will be taught using Zoom. Teaching delivery methods will include:
• Interactive taught sessions
• Pair/group work – using breakout rooms
• Questions and answers
• Receptive skills from online video clips
• Google classroom for resources.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There will be no additional costs for this course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We have a range of post-level 2 BSL courses, up to level 6.