What is the course about?
This is a hands-on course aimed at any visual artist who wants to get their work online: to use it both as a publishing and marketing platform. The course is aimed at enabling visual artists to make a portfolio website using the popular framework WordPress. It does not involve any coding or using speciality software, but rather using WordPress themes to set up and customise the look and feel of the site. It aims at giving artists the tools to create their own presence online, and the confidence to maintain and decide both the content and appearance of their site.
Since WordPress is freely available online, you should be able to work from home outside the lesson, and to keep updating their site after the course is over. You will be able to build an online portfolio, styling it using available and free themes, create pages and menus, and update the site afterward.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Setting up a WordPress portfolio site
- Selecting a theme and styling your site
- Adding media such as photos and videos
- Editing and updating text
- Creating links
- Linking to an online shop.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Recognise the different uses and benefits of a blog and a website for visual artists
- Access your own site in WordPress, and select and modify themes
- Add pages and upload media
- Add links to your website relevant to your arts practice
- Manage and make changes to your site.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginner's class, but you will need to be computer literate at a basic level, including being able to use the internet with confidence.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions and to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need an active email account that you can access during the lesson to activate your WordPress.com account.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Blogging: writing your own blog using WordPress, WordPress: intermediate, Build an e-shop with WordPress, HTML5 & CSS: Introduction (stage 1).