What is the course about?
This course will help you recognise and apply various spelling rules and patterns and use different memory techniques to make spelling easier. For example,we will look at spellings with short and long vowel sounds, how to spell plurals, use phonics and recgnised 'silent' letters. We will also examine how some punctuation affects the meanings of words.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover a variety of different spelling patterns and rules including:
• spelling patterns for words with short vowel sounds
• spelling patterns for words with long vowel sounds and diphthongs
• using phonics to help with spelling
• spelling rules for plural nouns
• recognising when letters are not pronounced (silent letters)
• how punctuation can affect meaning e.g. use of apostrophes
• different memory strategies
• commonly mis-spelt words.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be more confident in your spelling of common words
• write whole texts or paragraphs with accurate spelling
•recognise and use spelling patterns for words with short vowel sounds
• recognise and use spelling patterns for words with long vowel sounds and diphthongs
• use phonics to help with spelling
• recognise and usespelling rules for plural nouns
• recognise when letters are not pronounced (silent letters)
• identify how punctuation can affect meaning e.g. use of apostrophes and punctuate accurately
•identify and use different memory strategies
• correctly spell commonly mis-spelt words.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people who speak English fluently but need help with their writing specifically their spelling. It is aimed at E3-Level 1 learners.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover rules and features of English. You will work on your own and with other students. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of courses you can do at the same time or after this course including English for the Office with Digital Skills.