What is the course about?
The course is based on Carl Rogers' person centered approach to counselling and will enable you to consolidate your counselling skills, working across all clinical areas.
What will we cover?
Course content will be tailored to participants’ needs. Likely topics are:
• Counselling skills practice triads
• Personal and professional boundaries
• Clinical dilemmas in your working context
• Practitioner self-care
• Ongoing professional development after the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• You will have reflected on and developed your creativity and use of counselling skills within your SLT role.
• You will have experienced working with a wide range of creative materials to open up conversations with clients (children, young people and adults) and their friends and family
• Through skills practice sessions, you will feel more confident about your use of counselling skills
• You will have identified clearer personal and professional boundaries in the use of counselling skills within your SLT role.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for qualified speech and language therapists who have already attended the City Lit three-day course ‘Effective counselling skills for speech and language therapists. To access the course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
- Express your opinions and feelings
- Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
- Make use of handouts with some assistance if necessary
Before joining the class you will need to speak to one of the Speech Therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be a large experiential component to the course as well as some theoretical input and practical sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs although you might choose to purchase books from the suggested reading list.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may choose to go on to do further counselling training either at the City Lit or elsewhere.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details