What is the course about?
This course is designed to help students on their quest to write innovative fairytale stories. Ideally suited for students who have taken our Writing and rewriting fairytales workshop, Developing your fairytale explores approaches to perspective, narrative twists and fulfilling resolutions that bend traditional genre rules. Students will have the opportunity to experiment with different approaches to writing and will have the opportunity to receive some constructive criticism on their work.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Approaches to perspective in fairytales.
- Approaches to narrative twists in fairytales.
- Approaches to resolutions in fairytales.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Experiment with writing from different perspectives in the fairytale genre.
- Experiment with developing a twist in your fairytale project.
- Experiment with writing more than one resolution to your fairytale.
- Apply constructive feedback to your writing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Ideally, students will already have completed our Writing and rewriting fairytales workshop or have previous experience with writing in a fantasy genre. Students will need to come with a fairytale project in mind and have a character and storyline to work with.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through a mix of pair work, group work, writing tasks, text analysis and tutor instruction.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring writing materials and details of your character and storyline with you.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of genre fiction writing courses including Writing myths, Writing fantasy stories and Writing magical realism. For more information, please browse the writing section of our website.