Digital skills for business: presenting and managing professional-looking documents with Word - from reports to newsletters (intermediate)
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course has now finished
- Course Code: CWP10
- Dates: 12/11/23 - 26/11/23
- Time: 10:00 - 17:00
- Taught: Sun, Daytime
- Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: CWP10
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to create well-presented detailed Word documents. You will focus on how to produce well-formatted long documents such as reports and proposals so the text is well-arranged and laid out. You will practise how to add footers and headers including auto-date, times and page numbering, as well as other layout features. You will learn how to use outlines, styles, indentation and auto-format to produce that professional looking document as well as templates. You will also work on how to create customised and detailed tables and indexes. You will practise inserting and altering images and wrapping text around images and tables, including Excel tables. You will focus on printing documents so that they maintain their formatting and managing your files on the cloud so they are easy to find. Finally, you will practise mail-merging so you can distribute your documents efficiently.
What will we cover?
• creating well-presented and attractive documents such as reports and proposals
• formatting, arranging text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• using outlines, styles, indentations and templates
• creating customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts and indexes
• inserting and altering images
•inserting Excel data into Word documents
• controlling text flow using wrap text tool
• printing documents to maintain complex formatting
• managing your files effectively
•using mail merge to distribute documents.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• create well-presented and attractive documents for the workplace such as proposals and medium length reports
• format and arrange text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• use styles, indentations and mail merge
• create customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts and indexes
• insert and alter images
•insert Excel data into Word documents
• control text flow using wrap text tool
• print documents to maintain complex formatting
• manage your files effectively.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course. You should be confident in the basic functions of Word and in general computer use. The course is specifically aimed at people who need to use Word in the workplace though it will also help you in everyday home use. You can call our administrator on (telephone temporarily unavailable) for more advice about your suitability for the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, during or after this course. These include:
• Business Administration: using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access (intermediate)
• Business Administration: getting ready for level 3 certificate in IT user skills - ICDL Advanced (intermediate)
• Business administration: how to organise and manage with OneNote, MS Outlook and OneDrive (intermediate)
• Business Administration with digital skills: how to be organised, efficient and customer-focused using Outlook and OneNote (intermediate)
• Award in Digital and IT Skills: word-processing, spreadsheets, presentations and databases (level 2)
• Digital skills for business: analysing, handling and presenting data with Excel (intermediate)
• Digital skills for business: visualising data with Excel - from column charts to scatter plots (intermediate)
• Digital skills for the workplace: creating newsletters, reports and tables with Word (intermediate)
You can do classes in the maths and English areas. These include:
• Communication skills for business: how to tell a story with data in your writing and presentations (level 2)
• Communication skills for business: how to be clear, concise and organised in your writing (level 2)
• Core management skills: leading and building teams (introduction)
• Core management skills: organising, delegating, decision-making (introduction)
• Business administration with digital skills: communication skills in a business environment (advanced level 2)
• Becoming data literate: how to present data for work or study (level 2)
• Becoming data literate: understanding data and how it is presented from pie-charts to bell curves (level 2)
• Maths for business: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
• Maths for business with Excel: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 4582 0423.