Digital skills for the workplace: using Word (intermediate)
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to create well-presented detailed Word documents. You will focus on how to create and write documents such as letters, forms and reports so you can format them correctly, arrange the text and layout appropriately and add footers and headers commands like auto date, time, page numbering and other layout features. You will learn how to use styles, indentation and mail merge to produce that professional looking document. And you will also work on how to create customised and detailed tables using advanced tables commands. You will practise inserting and altering images and wrapping text around images and tables. Finally, you will look at printing documents so that they maintain their formatting and managing your files so they are easy to find.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• creating well-presented and attractive documents such as reports
• formatting, arranging text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• using styles, indentations and mail merge
• creating customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• inserting and altering images
• controlling text flow using wrap text tool
• printing documents to maintain complex formatting
• managing your files effectively.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• create well-presented and attractive documents for the workplace such a detailed letters and medium length reports
• format and arrange text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• use styles, indentations and mail merge
• create customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• insert and alter images
• control text flow using wrap text tool
• print documents to maintain complex formatting
• manage your files effectively.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course. You should be confident in the basic functions of Word and in general computer use. The course is specifically aimed at people who need to use Word in the workplace though it will also help you in everyday home use. You can call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 for more advice about your suitability for the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Digital skills for the workplace: using Word (advanced)
• Digital Skills for the workplace: using Excel (intermediate)
• Digital skills for the workplace: analysing, handling and presenting data with Excel (intermediate)
• Digital Skills for the virtual and face-to-face office (intermediate)
• Digital Skills for the Office: how to work across and combine different MS Office programs (advanced)
• How to be administrator in the virtual and face-to-face office: how to be organised, efficient, precise and service-focused
• How to be an administrator: the online paperless office
• Level 3 certificate in IT user skills (ECDL Advanced)
• Pathway to ECDL level 3
• Workplace skills: how to be organised and self-managing using One Note and MS Outlook (intermediate)
• Workplace skills: how to be organised, focused and efficient using MS Outlook (intermediate)
• Workplace skills: how to collaborate, coordinate and build relationships through the Cloud using One Drive and SharePoint (intermediate)
• Workplace skills: how to collaborate, coordinate and build relationships with Microsoft Teams (intermediate)
• Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
• Becoming data literate: understanding data and how it is presented from pie-charts to bell curves (L2+)
• Becoming data literate: the fundamentals of how to present data for work or study (L2+)
There also many English, maths and office skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for more details.