What is the course about?
Work from the model holding a sustained pose over two sessions explore painting the structure of the portrait head. Investigate light and shade on the portrait, improve colour mixing, colour temperature, tone, consistency and brushwork to develop a sustained, more confident and expressive painting.
What will we cover?
• Practice key measuring techniques to improve observations of the structure of the head from your chosen
• Improve accuracy of shape, proportion, asymmetry in the portrait head
• Observe and record how light and shade affects the portrait
• Practice and improve colour mixing in cool and warm tones.
• Explore techniques of layering paint, consistency, brush handling and glazes
• Compare and discuss techniques of portraiture using a range of historical and contemporary examples.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Develop a sustained portrait over two days, layering paint, modifying and refining work.
• Improve skill and accuracy in observations of the structure of the head from a range of viewpoints
• Build sensitivity towards light and shade on the portrait
• Improve colour mixing, colour temperature, consistency and brush application.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for all except absolute beginners - some experience of life drawing required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will be primarily practical with one to one tuition, exercises and demontrations
Informal lectures and group discussions. No additional homework.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course fee covers all basic materials, consisting of acrylic paint, paper and brushes.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10%
discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you
should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross
shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions
apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Further Life and portrait classes such as Portraits 1 and 2, and the City Lit Year of the Figure and Portrait.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to
Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details