What is the course about?
An introduction to and exploration of the practice of mindfulness and how it relates to drawing. Through a variety of guided exercises, investigate ways of consciously cultivating awareness and identify how this can enrich the drawing process and lead to deepening concentration, clarity of perception, appreciation and responsiveness to your subject matter, and versatility in your drawing practice. This course is suitable for beginners as well as those with experience in drawing who would like to enhance their drawing practice.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
During the course we will explore a variety of ways to stimulate a fresh response to drawing. There will be a series of guided drawing exercises exploring: the role of body awareness, clarity of perception, sensitivity to your materials and subject matter and the importance of play and enrichment in drawing. There will be opportunities to explore a range of media and subject matter with reference to a variety of artists work, which will serve as inspiration for expressing shape, volume, line and tone directly and freely in your drawings. Group discussion and one-to-one guidance is available throughout the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify and employ a range of methods for practicing mindfulness in drawing
• Engage in drawing from observation and the imagination with greater confidence and resourcefulness
• Explore ways of cultivating concentration, clarity of perception, responsiveness to your materials and subject matter, and enrichment in drawing
• Demonstrate an ability to engage a variety of drawing approaches with reference to artists work
• Employ a toolkit of methods and approaches to stimulate, sustain or refresh your drawing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for beginners as well as those with experience in mindfulness and drawing who wish to re-fresh their practice or stimulate new directions
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations and hand-outs, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Through guided mindfulness practices
- Demonstration of drawing methods
- Practical drawing exercises
- One to one tutoring
- Pair and group discussion
- Personal research tasks
- Slideshows, other practical learning resources.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Pencil, paper, eraser, pencil sharpener, 30 sheets white cartridge paper for drawing e.g. A2 or A3, charcoal, one small putty rubber, one sanguine conte pencil
Additional materials (optional/extra):
Coloured pastels, coloured pencils.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Drawing and Painting from the Imagination.