Drawing and mindfulness: beginners guide to approaches and techniques
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VH323
Please choose a course date
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
An introduction to and exploration of the practice of drawing and mindfulness. Through a variety of guided exercises, including drawing from observation and the imagination, you will explore how engaging mindfulness with drawing can help you to develop drawing skills, support confidence and stimulate a light/playful, yet wholehearted engagement. This workshop is suitable for beginners to drawing and/or mindfulness.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• An introduction to drawing and to mindfulness and how each supports the other.
• Series of guided, playful and exploratory drawing exercises where you will investigate different ways of drawing and new ways of seeing.
• Explore some common obstacles to creativity and strategies for working through them.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify how engaging mindfulness with drawing can help to develop drawing skills and support a light/playful, yet wholehearted approach
• Employ a small toolkit of drawing and mindfulness practices
• Draw with more confidence
• Engage simple mindfulness methods for increasing your creativity and working through common obstacles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The workshop is suitable for beginners to drawing and/or mindfulness.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations and hand-outs, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Through guided mindfulness practices
- Demonstration of drawing methods
- Practical drawing exercises
- Pair and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
To ensure you are able to fully participate in all activities and tasks, please ensure you have the following available:
Pencil, paper, eraser, pencil sharpener, 8 sheets cartridge paper e.g. A2 or A3
Additional materials (optional/extra):
Willow charcoal, coloured pastels, coloured pencils.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We offer a range of courses and workshops within mindfulness, both online and face to face. For more information and a full list of the courses available, please visit our website.
Clare Barton-Harvey is a full time artist and tutor/trainer living in London. In her teaching, she specialises in life drawing, drawing and mindfulness, working with colour, and painting from the imagination. She is an engaging and inspired tutor responsive to individual need and encouraging of individual growth/expression. In 2003, she studied at the Royal Drawing School, where she engaged in life drawing and the study of contemporary and historic artist’s drawings as part of the Drawing Year. In 2017 she engaged in post-graduate study with Bob and Roberta Smith (RA) and has exhibited solo and in a variety of group shows throughout the UK. You can see her work at www.cbarton-harvey.co.uk. Clare has been a practicing artist & mindfulness practitioner for over 25 years, and has taught drawing and painting for over 18 years, in a variety of locations currently including the National Gallery, British Museum, British Library, Pallant House and Hampton Court Palace. She is also co-founder of LIMINA collective (www.liminacollective.com) who specialise in mindful engagement with art in galleries and museums.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.