What is the course about?
This course is for students who are ready to develop their own ideas in drawing and painting, with reference to the work of contemporary artists and experimental processes. The emphasis will be on the process of development from idea /sketch to finished drawing or painting. Informed by contemporary art practice students will be encouraged to expand their approach to making an artwork, using research, experimentation, layering of imagery, exploration of materials etc. We will explore different methods of drawing and painting with reference to a particular contemporary artist to see how this affects the imagery or contributes to the meaning of the work. This course offers students higher level guidance with the freedom to explore their own ideas.
What will we cover?
- Source material and development of subject matter eg sketchbook ideas, working from photographs and projections.
- Experimenting with image making materials i.e. paint, drawing materials and mixing media and collage.
- Discussion of the visual language in painting
- Issues in contemporary painting.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use a sketchbook/photograph as a research tool for a painting/artwork
- Expand and develop your initial visual ideas using a variety of art materials and processes
- Make a sustained drawing, painting or series of works over several weeks
- Develop your ability to make decisions about the development of your own work
- Use the work of current artists as a reference and influence on your own art practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No, but students must be at an intermediate or advanced level. It is advised that students should have completed Drawing 1, Painting 1 and Painting Continued or higher level courses such as the City Lit Fine Art course, Foundation course or equivalent level courses.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be practical projects, individual guidance and encouragement, group discussion and examination of artists' work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You need to bring a sketchbook full of ideas, and plans for your own art projects.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any of the advanced painting classes, including Art and Design Foundation, City Lit Fine Art course and Developing Fine Art Practice.