What is the course about?
Learning about the methods and materials used we will make some copies of drawings from this period. Aiming to understand techniques like cross hatching plus combinations of smudging and line to describe structure, plus working on mid tone paper with the Trois Crayons technique (i.e. black, sanguine (brick red) and white pastels) to create beautiful effects and finally pen and ink. Having made drawn copies and learned the techniques we will then apply them to our own drawings of the nude model.
What will we cover?
- Making research studies, from selected drawings.
- Learning drawing methods to replicate the effects of old master drawings.
- Using a variety of media, to replicate the effects of old master drawings, including Trois Crayons technique and pen and ink.
- Discovering a personal response to the techniques and materials of the chosen artists.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Make copies of old master drawing
- Have a better understanding of three of the materials of the old masters including sanguine, Trois Crayons technique and pen and ink.
- practise several drawing techniques and methods used by the old masters
- Apply your research to drawings of the live model.
- Discover a personal response to your selected drawings for further development.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
An intermediate level course suitable for learners with some previous drawing experience.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be group and one to one tuition.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials are provided.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you wish to continue working with the figure, you may like to join a life drawing class or portrait class. Any drawing class would help to further develop your drawing. Painting classes are also a good follow on.