What is the course about?
An introduction to the Dutch language and an insight into life and customs in the Netherlands and Dutch-speaking Belgium (Flanders).
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The topics include exchanging personal information, describing people, and talking about everyday activities.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Give and ask for personal information
- Ask how someone is and respond
- Describe people
- Talk about your family
- Demonstrate an insight into the structure, spelling and pronunciation of Dutch
-Numbers 1-100 & telling the time.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Beginners' course- no previous knowledge required.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Book to be advised by the tutor at the beginning of the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Dutch beginners intensive: module 2. Please enrol as early as possible to avoid disappointment.