What is the course about?
In this course you will learn the advanced skills needed in order to:-
• produce sophisticated reports;
• perform complex mathematical and statistical calculations;
• improve productivity using MS Excel; and
• pass the ECDL Advanced Spreadsheet Software Unit Test and gain 6 credits @ Level 3.
What will we cover?
What will we cover?
• Formatting – conditional formatting, paste special, transposing data, copying and moving sheets.
• Protection – worksheet and cell protection. Hiding rows, columns, worksheets and workbooks.
• Cell Comments – create, edit, delete and display cell comments
• Naming cells and using them in formulas
• Templates – creating, using and editing.
• Formulas – mixed references, custom number formats
• Outlines – creating and working with an outline
• Scenarios – creating, editing, deleting and scenario summary reports
• Linking and embedding data
• Importing delimited data
• Sorting – multiple column sorts
• Lists – advanced filtering, adding subtotals
• Pivot tables – creating, filtering, grouping and sorting
• Functions – date and time, lookups, mathematical, statistical, text, financial, database and nested
• Charts – formatting, modifying such as adding a secondary axis
• Data tables – one input and two input data tables
• Macros – recording and running
• Auditing – tracing precedents, dependents, errors and data validation
• Tracking changes – sharing and merging workbooks.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of the course you should be able to:-
• Apply advanced formatting options such as conditional formatting and customised number formatting and manage worksheets.
• Use functions such as those associated with logical, statistical, financial and mathematical operations.
• Create charts and apply advanced chart formatting.
• Work with tables and lists to analyse, filter and sort data.
• Create and use scenarios.
• Validate and audit spreadsheet data.
• Enhance productivity by working with named cell ranges and macros.
• Use linking, embedding and importing features to integrate data.
• Compare and merge spreadsheets.
• Apply spreadsheet security features.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to do the following in Excel:-
• Work with spreadsheets and save them in different file formats.
• Enter data into cells and use good practice in creating lists.
• Format numbers and text content in a spreadsheet and use available auto format/table styles.
• Select, copy, move and delete data.
• Sort data.
• Edit rows and columns in a worksheet.
• Copy, move, delete and appropriately rename worksheets.
• Create mathematical and logical formulas using standard spreadsheet functions.
• Use good practice in formula creation and recognize error values in formulas.
• Choose suitable charts, and create and format charts to communicate information meaningfully.
• Use available help resources, shortcuts and the go to tool to enhance productivity.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details