What is the course about?
This course is suitable for those who have completed Basic English skills, Basic English vocabulary and punctuation and/or Basic English grammar for deaf people courses. This course will focus on basic English vocabulary, grammar, spelling, reading and writing.
What will we cover?
Your tutor will decide from a range of topics and also ask you what topics you are interested in.
Topics may include:
- simple sentence structure
- spelling strategies and howuse simple punctuation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- fill in forms
- read everyday words and notices
- spell everyday words
- talk about subjects that interest you
- write simple sentences with simple punctuation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To find out your level of skills, you will need to attend the Initial Assessment & Interview session before enrolling. To book an appointment, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; sms: 07624818557; voice: 02074922726.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a deaf-only group with a tutor that is fluent in British Sign Language. Teaching will be in a supportive group setting, which involves pair and small group work. The interactive whiteboard and google classroom will also help your learning. Handouts and worksheets will allow you to build up a folder of work. You will be given homework on a regular basis and an opportunity for one to one tutorials with your tutor to address any individual learning needs that you have.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Different coloured pens
- Highlighter pens
- A4 paper
- with dividers to keep your work in
- Photo dictionary
- English dictionary (basic/elementary level)
- Bilingual dictionary (English and your first language)
- It is recommended that you buy: Essential Grammar in Use With Answers: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Elementary Students of English by Raymond Murphy
- USB memory stick to use in class and for homework to save your work on computer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to complete this course successfully, you will be asked to do your coursework, various tests and mock exams. Also, your attendance and punctuality is expected to be at 85% or above. At the end of this course, your course tutor will review your overall learning progress including your attendance/punctuality and mock exam results (you will need to pass them with high marks) and will make a final decision if you can or can’t take real exams. The tutor will also advise you accordingly on what you can do next after the end of the course.