What is the course about?
This course is suitable for those who have completed English entry 1 course for deaf people and will help you to get confident in reading, writing and communication. You will learn to read pieces of texts, write sentences, spell correctly and use punctuation.
This is a live online face-to-face course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Your tutor will provide a range of topics which will include:
- sentence structure
- reading strategies
- spelling rules and punctuation etc.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- read and understand short pieces of writing
- develop your spelling and vocabulary
- write and punctuate sentences etc.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To find out your level of skills, you will need to attend the Initial Assessment & Interview session before enrolling. To book an appointment, please contact: email@example.com; sms: 07624818557; voice: 02074922726.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a deaf-only group with a tutor that is fluent in British Sign Language. Teaching will be in a supportive group setting, which involves pair and small group work. The interactive whiteboard and google classroom will also help your learning. Handouts and worksheets will allow you to build up a folder of work. You will be given homework on a regular basis and an opportunity for one to one tutorials with your tutor to address any individual learning needs that you have.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- English dictionary (elementary and/or intermediate level)
- bi-lingual dictionary if appropriate
- organised course file/folder/paper/highlighter pens and any other relevant stationery.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to complete this course successfully, you will be asked to do your coursework, various tests and mock exams. Also, your attendance and punctuality is expected to be at 85% or above. At the end of this course, your course tutor will review your overall learning progress including your attendance/punctuality and mock exam results (you will need to pass them with high marks) and will make a final decision if you can or can’t take real exams. The tutor will also advise you accordingly on what you can do next after the end of the course.