What is the course about?
This course is suitable if you have achieved English Entry 2 and wish to progress further. This course will help you develop your reading, writing and communication skills. You will learn to plan and draft writing; read and understand straightforward texts etc. This course has no exams.
What will we cover?
Topics will include:
- locating information in writing
- planning writing
- finding and correcting mistakes
- writing longer sentences and using paragraphs etc.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Read and understand straightforward texts that explain, inform or recount information
- Write texts with some adaptation to the intended audience
- Respond appropriately to others and make some extended contributions in familiar formal and informal
discussions and exchanges.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To find out your level of skills, you will need to attend the Initial Assessment & Interview session before enrolling. To
book an appointment, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; sms: 07624818557; voice: 02074922726.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a deaf-only group with a tutor that is fluent in British Sign Language. Teaching will be in a
supportive group setting, which involves pair and small group work. The interactive whiteboard and google classroom
will also help your learning. Handouts and worksheets will allow you to build up a folder of work. You will be given
homework on a regular basis and an opportunity for one to one tutorials with your tutor to address any individual
learning needs that you have.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Dictionary (intermediate and/or advanced)
- bi-lingual dictionary if appropriate
- organised course file/folder/paper/highlighter pens and any other relevant stationery
- your tutor will recommend which books you can buy for your self study.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to complete this course successfully, you will be asked to do various tests and complete your coursework by your course tutor. Also, your attendance and punctuality is expected to be at 85% or above. At the end of this course, your course tutor will review your overall learning progress including your attendance/punctuality and will advise accordingly.