What is the course about?
This course will help you get become confident in your everyday communication in speaking, listening, reading and writing. We will focus on topics that interest you and use these to help you improve the key elements of reading and writing as well as speak with confidence to express your thoughts and feelings including in difficult situations. You will learn to how write whole sentences and paragraphs, use adjectives effectively, organise your writing, make notes and complete drafts, spell important common words, use punctuation correctly and develop reading and writing strategies most suited to you. You will also improve your maths and digital skills where necessary.
What will we cover?
Your tutor will decide from a range of topics and ask you what topics you want to cover. In this past, these have included British values and law, the environment, news, Black history, and well-being. These topics will be used to help you with specific areas of English, including:
• writing compound sentences
• combing sentences into paragraphs
• writing whole texts including letters and emails
• planning and drafting your writing
• using a range of adjectives effectively
• using punctuation to clarify meaning
• checking your writing for errors
• reading for details
• reading for general gist
• expressing your opinion with reason
• expressing feelings and thoughts.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• communicate and express yourself with a good degree of confidence and skill
• write compound sentences
• combine sentences into paragraphs
• write whole texts including letters and emails
• plan and draft your writing
• use a range of adjectives effectively
• use punctuation to clarify meaning
• check your writing for errors
• read different types of text for details
• reading different types of text for general gist
• express your opinion with reason
• express your feelings and thoughts
• engage in discussions and respond to other points of view.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people who are fluent speakers of English at Entry 3 but who need help with their reading and writing and expressing themselves. You can read and write sentences but you are now ready to write in more detail and read more complicated things such as short news articles and stories. It is especially suitable to those who wish to learn and study English but do not feel ready take an exam.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching will be in a supportive group setting, which involves pair and small group work. The interactive whiteboard and computers will help your learning. Handouts and worksheets will allow you to build up a folder of work. You will be given homework on a regular basis.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a folder to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets and give you links to some useful websites to reinforce and extend your skills outside the class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
When you successfully complete this course you may join the next part of these three stage programme. There are other courses you can also do at the same time or after this including Improve your Spelling and English for the Office with digital skills.