English for professionals: C1 Advanced (Cambridge English Advanced, CAE)
Time: 18:30 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
What is the course about?
This course will help you develop your English to an advanced level as well as prepare you for the four papers of the exam: Reading and Use of English, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Over the course you will develop your skills in writing, reading, speaking and listening including improving your fluency and accuracy. You will work with different types of texts including fiction, newspapers and magazines and learn how to write essays, proposals, reports and reviews. You will also work on presentations and everyday conversations. You will also develop your exam taking skills and practise exam tasks.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
All parts of the exam will be covered to enable you to do well in each part of the exam and improve your English in general. We will look at different texts such as fiction, newspapers and magazines. We will practise writing essays, letters, emails, proposals, reports and reviews. Listening will focus on following and understanding interviews, radio broadcasts, presentations, talks and everyday conversations. And in speaking you will develop your ability to communicate effectively in face–to–face situations. Topics covered will include:
• The arts and entertainment
• Health & fitness
• The media and the news
• Global issues
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify what you need to do well in order to succeed in the CAE exam
• succeed in all four parts of the exam
• understand a broad range of recorded speech including radio or television programmes
• use language fluently, flexibly and effectively for social and professional purposes in both speaking and writing
• understand complex factual and literary texts and specialised articles
• write clear, well-structured texts about complex subjects, using a style appropriate to the target reader
• consistently maintain a high degree of grammatical accuracy.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for students at L2 ESOL and above (C1). You should be able to take part in long and complex conversations, understand authentic written texts and feel confident using English in everyday situations and at work. You need to do an assessment to make sure you are at a suitable level for the course. You can do the online assessment or come for a face-to-face interview.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class. Please note, you pay (about £130) for the exam directly at one of the 19 Cambridge approved centres in London.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• English for professionals: C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Proficiency, CPE )
• English for professionals: becoming fully proficient
• English for professionals: how to make your writing clear, concise and flowing (advanced ESOL)
• English for professionals: communicating, selling, negotiating and managing in business and work (Level 2)
• English Communication Skills for professionals: finding the right word in business (advanced)
• Advanced writing skills: how to write creatively and expressively (level 2)
• Grammar in practice: advanced (level 2+)
• Prepare for IELTS and improve your academic writing
• Reading stories, telling stories: vocabulary, discussion, expression (level 2)
• ESOL pronunciation: stage 1 (level 1-2)
There also many math, English and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details.