What is the course about?
You will refine your English skills to become a fully competent English language user in all situations and prepare for all four parts of the exam. You will study demanding subjects, read, write and speak about them as well as listen to in depth accounts of them. You will work wiith both fiction and non-fiction books, journals, newspapers and manuals; write a variety of text types, such as essays, reports and reviews; follow and understand a range of spoken materials, such as lectures, speeches and interviews; take part in challenging conversations to sustain an interaction, exchange ideas, express and justify opinions, speculate and reach a decision through negotiation.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover all parts of the qualification and develop your English includiing for example:
• discussing, reading and writing about complex subjects approriate to postgraduate and PhD programmes and professional work situtations
• negotiating and persuading effectively at management level in business settings
• responding to the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
• identifying detail, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, main idea, implication and how a text is organised
•recognising and using subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• talking about complex or sensitive issues, and dealing confidently with difficult questions
• writing essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• listening for the gist of a whole conversation or talk, for a particular detail or for the speaker’s opinion e.g. in work situation, at university or in everyday life.
• speaking with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify what you need to do well in order to succeed in the CPE exam
• succeed in all four parts of the exam
• discuss read and write about complex subjects approriate to postgraduate and PhD programmes and professional work situtations
•negotiate and persuade effectively at management level in business settings
• respond to the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
• identify detail, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, main ideas and implication of a text and how it is organised
•recognise and use subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• talk about complex or sensitive issues, and deal confidently with difficult questions
• write essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• listen for the gist of a whole conversation or talk, for a particular detail or for the speaker’s opinion e.g. in a work situation, at university or in everyday life.
• speak with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for L2+ students (C2). It ideal if you are a post-graduate or working as a profressional. You will already be a highly competent English language user.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a dynamic and creative course taught through a range of activities as a whole group, in small groups and in pairs. There will be past exam paper practice. You will be expected to do 5 hours+ independent study every week and self-study using Google Classroom and other on-line resources.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class. Please note, you pay for the exam directly at one of the 19 Cambridge approved centres in London.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
By the time you’ve completed your CPE, you should no longer need an ESOL course! However, the Grammar in Practice (Advanced) and Advanced Writing Skills in Practice would also be of help to you. Your tutor will advise you on the best next step for you.