What is the course about?
This course will give you the chance to improve your business English language skills. You will develop speaking, writing and listening skills within the context of work, e.g. for writing emails and giving presentations. You will focus on conducting meetings – for example, the use of small talk and making conversation, what makes a meeting good, bad or difficult, how to respond to these situations, and the phrases needed in negotiation. We will look at diplomatic language, when you should be direct or indirect and we also focus on cultural differences in the workplace. We will practise writing business emails including formal vs informal as well using the phone and appropriate phrases. There will be a focus on structuring presentations and using language for signposting and sequencing. Throughout the course, there will be a lot of emphasis on vocabulary including phrasal verbs and using the most effective language at the right time.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• conducting meetings – for example, the use of small talk and making conversation, what makes a meeting good, bad or difficult and how to respond to these situations, and phrases needed in negotiation
• diplomatic language, when should you be direct or indirect
• cultural differences in the workplace
• writing business emails including formal vs informal
• using the phone with appropriate phrases
• structuring presentations and using language for signposting and sequencing
• vocabulary for the workplace including phrasal verbs and using the most effective language at the right time.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• conduct and participate in meetings more confidently – for example, by using appropriate small talk, making conversation, responding appropriately to different types of meeting and using phrases needed in negotiation
• use diplomatic language and decide when should you be direct or indirect
• respond appropriately to cultural differences in the workplace
• write effective business emails both formal vs informal
• use the phone with appropriate phrases
• structure business presentations and use language for signposting and sequencing
• use vocabulary for the workplace including phrasal verbs
• use the most effective language at the right time
• identify areas you need to improve and develop strategies to do this.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for Level 2 (C1) students and above: i.e. upper intermediate to advanced level. You should be able to take part in fairly long and complex conversations, understand authentic written texts and handle practical tasks in everyday work situations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes are activity and task- based, with language input, error correction and feedback from the tutor in each class. The class will be very interactive and dynamic and role play will help you develop your language for real business situations. Homework may include exercises for consolidating language points, or contributing/exchanging ideas via our online platform.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Handouts are provided by the tutor. No books are required for the course, but please bring pens and paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you could do next or at the same time. The most relevant business courses are: Business, Find the Right Word (Advanced) and our Communicating at Work (Level 1-2) series. But there are many courses you could do next or at the same time. You could do one of our L2 ESOL classes or Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE). Our ESOL Pronunciation Stage 1 would also be helpful.Other possible courses include: Matters of Opinion, English dialogue: speaking, listening, pronunciation, performance (level 1-2)ESOL and Reading Stories, ESOL and Making Podcasts, ESOL and Film. Your tutor will advise you.