What is the course about?
This course will help you with the skills and language you need to do well in your undergraduate studies whether you are a current student or planning to be one. It will cover the main areas you need: understanding lectures, taking and using notes, reading well, developing ideas and arguments, writing academic essays, speaking well in seminars and tutorials,.
What will we cover?
• making notes from a lecture and following its main points
• taking notes efficiently and effectively from reading materials
• choosing your reading materials – knowing what to read and how
• developing ideas and arguments
• structuring an academic essay
• speaking to the point in seminars and tutorials.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• take notes from a lecture and follow its main points
• take notes efficiently and effectively from reading materials
• choose your reading materials well – identify what to read and how to read it
• develop your ideas and arguments from reading material and lecture notes to help form convincing arguments
• structure an academic essay to make a reasoned and evidenced argument
speak to the point in seminars and tutorials.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for learners who have the English level acceptable to a university - around Level 2+, C1, IELTS 6.5+. You need to do a pre-course assessment to make sure the course is the right level for you.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will be interactive and dynamic. During the class you will work in pairs or small groups, and sometimes as a whole group. Your tutor will also work with you individually. You will be expected to do some homework every week and use Google Classroom outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of courses you can do at the same time or after this one. These include: Read Well, Write, Well, Academic Writing Skills in Practice, Prepare for IELTS and improve your academic writing, Grammar in Practice (Upper-intermediate or Advanced), ESOL Pronunciation: Stage 1. Cambridge English: Advanced might also be helpful. Your tutor will advise you on the best course.