What is the course about?
This course is suitable for those who have achieved English Entry 2 and/or English Entry 3 but not quite ready for the next level. The tutor will focus on your individual grammatical skills and prepare you for the next level. This course has no exams.
What will we cover?
The topics will include:
•Word classes and their functions
• The English tenses
• English word order (subject-verb-object).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify different word classes and their functions in context (understanding nouns, prepositions, verbs, adverbs, adjectives etc)
• Use the English tenses appropriately to convey the correct meaning in context (I worked, I have worked, I am working etc)
• Spell English words correctly and use knowledge of spelling rules
• Use punctuation appropriately in sentences.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To find out your level of skills, you will need to attend the Initial Assessment & Interview session before enrolling. To book an appointment, please contact: email@example.com; sms: 07624818557; voice: 02074922726.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a deaf-only group with a tutor that is fluent in British Sign Language. Teaching will be in a supportive group setting, which involves pair and small group work. The interactive whiteboard and google classroom will also help your learning. Handouts and worksheets will allow you to build up a folder of work. You will be given homework on a regular basis and an opportunity for one to one tutorials with your tutor to address any individual learning needs that you have.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Dictionary (intermediate and/or advanced)
- Bi-lingual dictionary if appropriate
- Organised course file/folder/paper/highlighter pens and any other relevant stationery
If you are not working, or are on a low income, you may be able to get help buying resources. You will need to ask the Advice Shop.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to complete this course successfully, you will be asked to do various tests and complete your coursework by your course tutor. Also, your attendance and punctuality is expected to be at 85% or above. At the end of this course, your course tutor will review your overall learning progress including your attendance/punctuality and will advise accordingly.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details