What is the course about?
The aim of the course is to help you to develop your language awareness and knowledge of English grammar in terms of word classes and their functions. You will learn about nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, determiners, prepositions and connectives. You will be signposted to online sources of information and practical exercises which can be used to refine and revise your knowledge throughout the course and after the course has concluded. This course has no exams.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
On this course you will cover various grammatical topics such as:
• Nouns (collective, proper & common, abstract & concrete, count & non-count, singular & plural)
• Verbs (regular, irregular, linking, helping, modals and phrasal verbs
• Adjectives (positive, comparative and superlative)
• Adverbs (place, time, frequency, degree and manner)
• Prepositions (time, place & movement)
• Pronouns (subject, object, possessive, reflexive and indefinite pronouns)
• Determiners (articles, possessives, quantifiers & demonstratives)
• Connectives (conjunctions and connecting adverbs).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
You should be able to look at a sentence and identify which words belong to which word groups.
Additionally, you should be able to:
• State if a noun is abstract or concrete
• State if a noun is a proper noun or a common noun
• Change nouns from singular to plural form correctly
• State if a verb is a regular or irregular verb
• State if a verb is a linking or helping verb
• Put adjectives in their positive, comparative and superlative form using er/est or more/most
• Identify different types of adverbs and state if it is an adverb of place, time, frequency, degree or manner
• Use prepositions of time “in”, “on” & “at” correctly.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To find out your level of skills, you will need to complete the initial assessment & the interview before enrolling. To book the assessment & the interview, please contact: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone (sms): 07307 810118; phone (voice): 02074922511.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course is delivered online (via Zoom). You will be taught in a deaf-only group with a tutor who is fluent in British Sign Language. To be able to access the course online, you will need: a laptop or PC; a stable internet connection; an up-to-date web browser (this is a software on your computer that helps you go on the Internet - we recommend that you use Google Chrome or Firefox); a webcam - this is normally part of your laptop or tablet - if you are using a desktop PC, you may need to have an external webcam; The interactive Google Classroom will optimise your learning: you will be able to access handouts and worksheets, submit your homework, complete various activities etc. You will also have one to one tutorials with your tutor to address any individual learning needs that you might have.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
As this course is delivered online, you need to ensure that you have the following: a laptop, PC, or a tablet; a stable internet connection; an up-to-date web browser (this is a software on your computer that helps you go on the Internet - we recommend that you use Google Chrome or Firefox); a webcam - this is normally part of your laptop or tablet (if you are using a desktop PC, you may need to have an external webcam).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to complete this course successfully, you will be asked to do various tests and complete your coursework by your course tutor. Also, your attendance (joining the Zoom sessions) and punctuality is expected to be at 85% or above. At the end of this course, your course tutor will review your overall learning progress including your attendance/punctuality and will advise accordingly.