English language GCSE (introduction)
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
In addition please also click on the following link and tell us more about yourself https://forms.gle/WpjbXEsfBRtByVjz5.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
This course is for anyone who already has a good level of English but wishes to develop this to GCSE level and gain the qualification. You will gain a sense of what studying for a GCSE involves, what the level is, what the course content is, and what approaches you will need to take in order to be successful on the GCSE course.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
This course shows you what you need to do in order to start and successfully complete the AQA English Language GCSE programme
We will cover:
• the content of the English language GCSE programme and give an indication of the types of reading tasks you will do on the GCSE such as evaluating texts critically and make comparisons between them, summarising them
• using your reading to improve your own writing
• writing effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately
• developing appropriate study skills to be able to complete an intense GCSE course
More details of the English Language GCSE can be found here: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-language-8700/subject-content.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify the key elements and demands of the English Language GCSE
•evaluate whether you are ready for the GCSE accreditation and can devote the time and dedication needed to complete it successfully
•show you have the reading skills and abilities to complete the English Language GCSE including analysing, comparing and summaring texts
•show you have the writing skills and abilities to complete the English Language GCSE including using Standard English at the appropriate level
• show you have the study skills needed to complete an intense GCSE course.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for learners who wish to progress to an accredited English language GCSE course. You will need to have the English skills at least of functional skills level 2 and will need to complete an initial assessment before being accepted on the course. You should already be reading English fiction and also have some analytical skills. You also need to be able to commit to attendance every week and have the time, means and dedication to work outside the classroom. You will need to complete and pass this course before being accepted onto the accredited GCSE English Language programme.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover rules and features of English. You will work on your own and with other students. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The most important thing to bring is your dedication, enthusiasm and commitment! However, you will also need a lined A4 writing pads, pen, a folder for assignments and any other appropriate stationery. You will be expected to maintain a course folder of handouts and your assignments. You will also submit work through Google Classroom so you will need access to a computer. If you are on a low income you may be able to apply to the Bursary Fund for help with the costs of the course (e.g. fares, books, materials).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Successful completion of the course and achieving the appropriate level will mean you can progress to the accredited English language GCSE course. If the tutor decides you are not ready to progress onto the GCSE English Language course, you will be advised on the next step for you which could include a Functional Skills course or our Getting Ready for English Language GCSE. We also have a number of non-accredited courses you could do:
• AEWPC01 Develop your writing for the workplace and beyond: concision, coherence and organisation (Level 2)
• AEWPR01 Develop your reading and writing for the workplace and beyond: analysing, comparing and critically evaluating (Level 2)
• AEWPT01 Develop your writing for the workplace and beyond: tone, register, style (Level 2)
• AERP01 Develop your English: reading for pleasure (Level 1-2)
• AEWC01/02 Develop your confidence in writing: sentence formation, grammar and punctuation in everyday writing (level 1-2)
• AEGF01/02 Develop your English: grammar foundation (level 1-2)
• AEWG01 Develop your writing: through grammar (level 1-2)
• AEO01/02 English for the Office: with digital skills (Level 1-2)
Any questions do email: Universal.email@example.com or ring 0207 492 2511.