What is the course about?
This course will help you improve your English through your enjoyment of singing. You will practise singing a variety of English songs to develop your fluency, increase your vocabulary, understanding of general meaning, listening for details and grammar skills. The course is particularly good for anyone who wants to improve their pronuncation including rhythm and stress.
What will we cover?
• the singing of a variety of English songs
• development of fluency through singing
• increasing vocabulary by looking at different types of songs
• reading skills such as reading for details, understanding general meaning, anticipating meaning
• listening for details and for aspects of pronunciation including rhythm
• developing of grammar points used in the songs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• sing a variety of English songs
• develop your fluency through singing
• increase vocabulary by looking at different types of songs
• talk about and discuss a range of topics
• identify the meaning of a range of expressions and idioms
• read for details, understand general meaning and anticipating meaning
• listen for details and for aspects of pronunciation including rhythm
• approximate to English stress-timed rhythm
• use a variety of grammar points.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students from Entry 3 to Level 2 i.e. pre- intermediate to upper-intermediate (B1-C1). It is ideal for those who enjoy singing and want to improve their English at the same time. You do not need to be a good singer to join this course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a dynamic interactive and fun course with lots of participation. The tutor will guide you but you will also work in pairs and groups. You will use Google classroom to study outside the classroom and will be encouraged to use song in your everyday life to develop your English.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class. It will also be good to record yourself singing,.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you could do next or at the same time depending on your level. Our ESOL Pronunciation Stage 1 course will be very helpful plus Conversation and Pronunciation for lower level students. ESOL and Making Podcasts is also an excellent course - you will make digital recordings so you can listen to yourself and your interactions as well as make longer talks. Other useful courses include: Conversation in Practice, Matters of Opinion, ESOL and Reading Stories, ESOL and Film.You could do one of our general ESOL classes. Your tutor will advise you on the best course.