What is the course about?
This course will give you confidence in using English for work, study and socialising. It will help you progress from E3 to Level 1. You will focus on your reading and writing but still get plenty of practice of speaking and listening. You will take a reading exam in term 2.
What will we cover?
• developing your everyday conversations with friends, at work and in daily activities including asking and answering questions using different tenses
• speaking fluently and writing on common topics using different tenses accurately - present simple, present continuous, past simple, past continuous, present perfect. past perfect and future forms
• developing your vocabulary on a range of topics and spelling words correctly
• understanding everyday conversations at work and with friends
• writing emails, letters, messages – formal and informal.
• writing descriptions of people, places and objects
• organising your writing into paragraphs and writing clear introductions and conclusion
• punctuating accurately
• reading for details and understanding the gist of stories, descriptions, messages, signs, newspaper articles, letters and emails.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• develop your everyday conversations with friends, at work and in daily activities including asking and answering questions using different tenses
• speak fluently and write on common topics using different tenses accurately - present simple, present continuous, past simple, past continuous, present perfect. past perfect and future forms
• use a wide range of vocabulary on important topics and spell words correctly
• respond to everyday conversations at work and with friends
• write emails, letters, messages – formal and informal
• write descriptions of people, places and objects
• organise your writing into paragraphs and writing clear introductions and conclusion
• punctuate accurately
• read for details and for understanding the gist of stories, descriptions, messages, signs, newspaper articles, letters and emails
• give opinions on a different topics in speaking and writing
You will also use the computer to write texts and the internet to find information and write emails.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for students who are not quite ready for an intermediate level class. It is particularly aimed at those who want to focus on their reading and writing. You should have Entry 3 (pre-intermediate) level English and be confident in your speaking and listening.You need to do a pre-course assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be an exciting and interesting course with lots of practice. You will work in pairs or small groups, and sometimes as a whole group. Your tutor will also work with you individually. There will be speaking and listening, reading, writing activities and games as well as the use of YouTube, an interactive whiteboard and computers to help your learning. Everything that you learn will help you in your daily life. You need to do homework every week and use Google Classroom outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets..
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You will take an English Skills readingg exam at the end of term 2. You can then move on to term 3. You can also do a range of courses at the same time or after this course. This courses include: Office Skills for ESOL students, - ESOL and Singing, Grammar in Practice: Intermediate (E3-L1), ESOL: Finding a Better Job, ESOL communicating at work: customer care (entry 3-level 1), Read well, write well (level 1-level 2); Conversation in practice (level 1-2), Matters of Opinions (Level 1-2). Your tutor will advise you on the right course..