What is the course about?
For most emerging photographers the reality of earning a living means learning vital business skills. This course covers key topics to help you establish your professional photographic practice, including finance and copyright, marketing including having your own web portfolio.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Cashflow, tax & finance
- Copyright, contracts & legal
- Marketing inc web portfolios.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Describe the fundamentals of image copyright
- Identify basic marketing strategy and how branding relates to marketing
- Understand the importance of cashflow
- Understand your legal obligation to UK taxation as a self employed person.
- Know how to begin successfully marketing your business.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for all levels but those new to the business of photography.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught via lectures and visual aids. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in the Photography department.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You do not need to bring anything other than a notepad and pen (or laptop).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The City lit has over seventy different practical and theoretical photography courses.
You can download a PDF of all the Photography courses on offer, view a calendar and see a virtual tour at: http://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/Photography, search on the web site or request a printed prospectus from the City Lit home page.