What is the course about?
This course will help you to create spreadsheets in Excel 2016 so you can do the main tasks needed in an office as well as keep control of your budget and other expenditure at home. You will learn key terminology to help you understand spreadsheets. We will focus on how to load and exit from Microsoft Excel 2016. You will practise creating, opening and saving worksheets such as budgets and expenditures so you will be able to manage data for home or office use. We will practise editing spreadsheets, entering and formatting data, creating simple formulas and basic functions so you learn how to save time and work efficiently. You will practise inserting and deleting rows/columns in a worksheet and formatting the tables. We will also focus on creating simple charts and graphs, and printing worksheets. Throughout the course, you will learn how to manage your files effectively and maintain their security.
What will we cover?
• Key terminology to help you understand spreadsheets
• Loading and exiting from Microsoft Excel 2016
• Creating, opening and saving worksheets such as budgets and expenditures so you will be able to manage data for home or office use
• Editing spreadsheets, entering and formatting data
• Creating simple formulas and basic functions so you learn how to save time and work efficiently
• Inserting and deleting rows/columns in a worksheet and formatting tables
• Creating simple charts and graphs
• Printing worksheets
• Managing your files effectively
• Maintaining the security of your files.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use key terminology associated with spreadsheets
• Load and exit from Microsoft Excel 2016
• Create, open and save worksheets such as budgets and expenditures so you will be able to manage data for home or office use
• Edit spreadsheets, enter and format data
• Create simple formulas and basic functions so you learn how to save time and work efficiently
• Insert and delete rows/columns in a worksheet and format tables
• Create simple charts and graphs
• Print worksheets
• Manage your files effectively
• Maintain the security of your files.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a basic level spreadsheet course but you need to able to use a keyboard and mouse.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has their own computer. Presentations will be made using computers, interactive whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes. Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where approximate, will help you grasp the concepts. The course will be task-based so you are doing activities you would normally do in an office or other workplace. Classes are taught in British Sign Language, and written English.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a USB memory stick, a folder with plastic wallets, pens and paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of other courses you could do either at the same time or after this course - for example:
PowerPoint essentials - for Deaf people
Google drive and the cloud - for Deaf people
Introduction to Indesign
Edit and improve your photos online - for Deaf people
Making and editing videos online - for Deaf people.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details