What is the course about?
This course will help you make the most of Excel 2016 so that many of your complex workday tasks become easier. You will learn how to use tables and charts to present information more effectively as well as manipulate data using calculations, conditional formatting and effectively filtering. You will gradually learn how to work with quite complex data including working across multiple sheets and linking to other Microsoft programs.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Enhancing the appearance of the data by changing the font, colour, size and style.
• Working with columns and rows.
• Entering fields into headers and footers.
• Using calculation such as Sum, Average, Maximum and Count.
• Working on multiple sheets simultaneously.
• Conditional formatting
• Basic pivot tables
• Effective filtering
• Linking across sheets and other applications such as word processing.
• Using spreadsheets in Word documents.
• Creating charts, graphs and enhancing their appearance.
• Using and creating templates.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
•use Excel effectively in the workplace to handle complex data and create fully functioning spreadsheets
• Perform calculations in Excel using formulae and functions.
• Perform calculations across different worksheets
• Apply a condition to a cell or a group of cells that will change automatically once a criteria is met.
• Explain the different types of charts and which charts best represent the data used
• Summarise data using the basic pivot table commands
• Perform filtering by various headings and text and number filtering tools
• Convert numerical data into charts/graphs and make changes to them.
• Link a charts to a report in a Word document.
• Enhance the appearance of worksheets using various formatting features
• Prepare the document for print by selecting the orientation and a range of cells to be printed.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course. You should be confident in the basic functions of Excel and in general computer use. The course is specifically aimed at people who need to use spreadsheets in the workplace though it will also help you in everyday home use. You can call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 for more advice about your suitability for the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs for doing this course. You should bring a pen, paper to take your own notes and a USB Flash Drive. It is possible to sit an ECDL Excel Level 2 exam at the end of this course but you will need to pay for the BCS registration, the test and a proportion of the cost of an invigilator. To check if you are ready to take the exam an online sample test is also available at a small cost. Please ask your tutor for more information if you are interested I taking the exam.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
TThere are many courses you can do at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Excel 2016 for the workplace - advanced
• Word 2016 for the workplace - intermediate or advanced
• Access 2016: essentials
• Creating and delivering the perfect presentation with PowerPoint 2016 (intermediate)
• Creating and delivering the perfect presentation with PowerPoint 2016 (advanced)
•Outlook 2016 for the workplace: managing your emails, tasks and priorities (intermediate)
•Outlook 2016 for the workplace: integrating Outlook, Excel and Word (advanced)
•IT skills for the Office: introduction or intermediate
• ECDL Level 2 or 3 (with a qualification - assessment needed)
You may also be interested in our How to be an Administrator series.
Your tutor will advise you on the best courses for you. For courses with an exam, you will need to complete a pre-course assessment. Call 0207 492 2511 to make an appointment or for further information.