What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence in Excel 2016 to create a well-presented spreadsheet. You will learn important terms, concepts and functions of the Excel spreadsheets and be astonished at how powerful and useful Excel is. We will focus on how to create spreadsheet s which are formatted with the right fonts, colour, text size and style including headers and footers. You will learn about entering data and using formulae and functions to make calculations. You will practise creating charts and graphs and enhancing their appearance so that data can be presented in an easy to read way. We will also practise using and creating templates, printing to maintain formatting and managing your files.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• identifying key features of a worksheet.
• entering data.
• enhancing the appearance of the data by changing the font, colour, size and style.
• entering and deleting a column, row or sheet.
• adding and deleting headers and footers.
• using common formulae
• using key functions used in calculation such as Sum, Average, Maximum and Count.
• creating charts, graphs and enhancing their appearance.
• using and creating templates.
• print preparation
• managing your files and maintaining security.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
•use all the main essential features of excel to create attractive and accurate documents such as budget sheets
• identify the key features of a excel window
• create, open and save files
• enter and edit text and data by inserting, deleting, moving, copying and pasting
• create and edit spreadsheets so they have appropriate formatting including use of headers and footers and change the page layout and orientation
• enhance the appearance of worksheets by changing font type, font size, font colour, bold, italics and alignment
• perform calculations in Excel using formulae and functions
• convert numerical data into charts/graphs and make changes to them
• using spell check and grammar check so your documents are accurate
• print documents including headers and footers
• organise your files so they are easy to find and secure.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course suitable for beginners including those who have just started to use Excel. If you are a complete beginner, you might like to try our Introduction to Excel course. You will need to have basic mouse and keyboard skills and a degree of confidence on a computer.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical hands-on course taught online using Zoom or Google Meet. You will perform tasks in class, which reflect office and work-based activities and be encouraged to practise as much as possible. You will receive regular handouts and information via Google classroom. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
You will need your own computer with MS Office, preferably 2016 or later, a good internet connection and a microphone, the use of a webcam for video is optional. Mac users can also take part in this course but will have to adapt to some keyboard and tab differences. Your tutor will discuss the concepts of all the tools used and will demonstrate their uses. The course will challenge you to become more independent in your learning and less dependent on your notes/hand –outs and work colleagues.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring a pen and paper and a folder for your notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do at the same time or after this course. We have a range of courses on using Microsoft Office 2016 programs in the workplace and at home - from beginner to advanced - including Excel for the workplace (intermediate). We also run an IT Skills for the Office programme at introductory or intermediate level. Other suitable courses include:
• Touch-tying and keyboard skills
• Making sense of Windows 10
• Pathway to ECDL level 1 and 2 / Pathway to ECDL Level 3
• ECDL Level 1, 2 or 2 (assessment needed). You might also be interested in our How to be an Administrator series. For less confident learners some of our Becoming Confident series will be helpful:
a) Becoming confident on your computer
b) Becoming confident on the Internet: setting up, searching, security, safety
c) Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
d) Becoming confident in file management on your PC
e) Becoming confident with mobile data: managing and syncing your files across your laptop, smartphone and tablet
f) Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating
g) *Essential Digital Skills for Work Level 1
We have many other digital skills courses. Your tutor will advise you on the best course. For courses with an exam, you will need to complete a pre-course assessment. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.