What is the course about?
The course will be split into a mix of revising some intermediate/advanced excel skills that data analysts would need to demonstrate, before applying these to different data sets. There will be a mixture between learning and then directly applying these skills with a range of exercises.
The last part of the final session will be a chance to bring in your own problem or a chance to work through a scenario and data commentary and presentation to add meaning and insight. Skills directly relevant to many different jobs.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Review of a list of shortcuts to use and apply to work quickly and efficiently
• Revision, review of basics
• Refresh and change for new data sources with new and updated datasets
• Calculated Fields (Add your own field to a pivot table)
• Pivot Charts
• Working with more complicated scenarios and datasets
• h look ups
• Index and Match
• IF statements
• SUM IF/ Count IF/ Average IF
Scenarios and application
• Revision: audience, impact, delivering information effectively
• Utilise the skills for scenarios.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Take a random set of data, process the information using more advanced excel skills, and find some key points to create conclusions, recommendations and next steps relevant for a range of stakeholders.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
A basic knowledge of excel (at least intermediate user). The course will be split into a mix of revising some intermediate/advanced excel skills that you would need to demonstrate, before applying these to different data sets and inferring conclusions and next steps.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There is no other costs, however you need to have Microsoft Office installed, preferably 2016 or later.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Excel: advanced, excel: expert, Data analysis with Power BI, introduction to VBA, Excel: financial modelling for further data analysis, Probability and statistics for Data Analysis.