Excel for financial modelling
Time: 11:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: CEX38
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course is about learning how to build a financial model in Excel from scratch through the valuation process of a given company. This will be illustrated by an application analysis of a publicly traded company.
While this course will cover parts of Financial Statements Analysis, the focus will be on building the model in Excel.
What will we cover?
1) Customising the settings in Excel to accommodate the Model.
• Creating new Format in the Worksheet: Numbers, Text, Font and Size.
• Exporting the Format to other Workbooks.
• Don’t use the mouse.
2) Advanced excel Functions:
• Advanced Conditional Functions.
• The look up School (Advanced).
3) Start building the model
• Reformulating and transcribing the Income statement in Excel.
• Reformulating and transcribing the Balance Sheet in Excel.
• Building the Cash Flow Statement in Excel.
• Scenario Analysis: Forecast & Valuation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of this course you should be able to build and share with colleagues a financial model that links up the three statements under different scenarios (e.g., expected economic growth). The model would return an estimated value of a company under each scenario.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- Excel Advanced
- Basic understanding of Financial reporting
If you don't have any experience in Financial reporting, we recommend that you attend the 'Introduction to business accounting" course first.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
No required work outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It is advisable to bring an USB, pen, notepad for taking notes. Computers are provided for each student.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to VBA, Data analysis with Power BI, Introduction to DAX: data analysis expression for Power BI, Excel: advanced. Excel: expert, A beginner’s guide to SQL, Introduction to SQL and Microsoft SQL server.