What is the course about?
In this course you will learn how to optimise functions of your eyes, jaw and tongue using Feldenkrais movements. By bringing attention to your habitual movements you can discover new movement possibilities. This release of tension can help ease migraines, headaches, TMJ pain, jaw clenching and other eye, neck and tongue issues. You will also be provided with some self-care practices to use at home to help you find more comfort in your daily life.
This course will be delivered online.To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a
microphone, and preferably a camera.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will look at the connection between tension in the eyes, jaw and tongue and other parts of yourself. We will look at basic anatomy, movements to ease tension and stress and develop pre-sleep routines and self-care.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Recognise your own behavioural and movement habits
- Identify ways to reduce tension through gentle and slow Feldenkrais movements
- Develop awareness of how to improve sleep quality and self-care
- Select some movements for your learning and self-care.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Everyone is welcome, no previous knowledge or experience is needed. However you should be able to get down on the floor and up again independently. If you have a disability or health concern, please contact the Health and Lifestyle department in advance. You should be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
If you have any health concerns, or have been affected by any of the conditions listed below, please consult with health practitioner whether it is appropriate for you to take part in an exercise or movement workshop, and show a referral letter from them to your tutor. If this is not possible, you will be asked to sign the disclaimer accepting responsibility for my own health and do not hold City Lit responsible for any responses as a result of participating in a exercise / movement course.
- Vestibular disorders?
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Do you have epilepsy?
- Do you have asthma?
- Are you pregnant?
- Have you had any joint replacement?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course is practical and involves guided movements and meditations, short presentations and video clips, interactive games, self observation, inquiry, discussions and small group or pair work. Suggestions for home practice will be given but there is no pressure to participate.
• Charlotte is a Feldenkrais Practitioner (student teacher).
• Charlotte is a qualified Feldenkrais: Awareness Through Movement teacher, she is currently a student completing the hands on aspect of the four year Feldenkrais training.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The best thing to wear is comfortable and loose clothing. The movements are gentle so you need to make sure you will be warm enough for the duration of the workshop, as your body temperature may drop.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
More Feldenkrais courses.
The Feldenkrais Method can be used to enhance your performance in activities such as dance, drama, martial arts, music, singing, Pilates, Yoga, work and everyday life.