What is the course about?
The course will explore ideas of creating structure and surfaces using a range of felting techniques. Using your own simple visual research to inspire, you will create a range of personal and experimental samples enabling you to develop a finished piece or produce a portfolio of samples for future projects.
What will we cover?
- Carding and blending coloured fibres
- Felting to create pleats and pockets
- Using a resist to create 3D seamless pouches
- Shrinking and stretching over a mould
- Nuno’ technique – bonding sheer fabric to the surface of the wool fibres to create texture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Prepare and blend coloured wool fibres for felting
- Make samples of hand-made wet felt, exploring structural surfaces and 3D vessels/pouches
- Make samples exploring texture using the ‘nuno’ technique
- Begin to plan and develop a finishes piece.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for students of all levels. Some knowledge of basic felting is useful but not essential.
It is for those who wish to develop their skills and/or personal projects.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety
information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to make basic measurements
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be hands on with demonstrations by the tutor, handouts, individual tuition and informal group
discussions. The use of a sketchbook to record your thoughts and develop your work will be encouraged and basic
research methods discussed. There will be recommendations for books and information on current exhibitions that
you can visit in your own time. You will learn how to use tools, equipment, and materials safely in the workshop.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be provided but if you are working on a large-scale project you will be asked to purchase wool fibres. You may bring your own materials if you wish.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VX317 Try it out: nuno felting
VX102 Constructed Textiles: Basketry and Felt.