What is the course about?
This course studies the core elements of film making from the initial idea to the final screening including all the major technical, organizational and creative aspects of storytelling for film. It provides a comprehensive overview of the input required to develop, shoot and screen to a professional entry level standard.
What will we cover?
• Who is involved in making a film and their specific jobs?
• Technology and how it has influenced the decisions we make.
• Cameras and lenses and how they function. The importance of the visual image as our primary storytelling tool.
• Studio and location lighting for film and TV
• Sound recording and the importance of the audio for film and TV.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Gain a working knowledge of these crucial elements of filmmaking.
• Script and storytelling
• Casting and the actor’s point of view.
• The challenges facing the director.
• Visualisation and breaking down a scene. How much do we shoot? What to shoot and when?
• Camera planning and shot lists
• Production planning, scheduling and the importance of organisation
• Budgeting, funding and screening options
• Editing, soundscape and score along with the post production structure.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Some experience in any of the various aspects of filmmaking is useful. This intensive course will provide the insight you need and develop your confidence and ability.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A current industry professional who bring hands on experience of the positives and pitfalls of the
filmmaking process, including examples of recent scripts to final screenings for class project material.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may need materials during the course and will be advised throughout the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Film making for the big screen.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to
Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details