What is the course about?
Building the foundations of your filmmaking skills. An introduction to the fundamental theory and practical techniques for TV and filmmaking, including camera operation, sound recording, lighting and editing. The course is run from the College’s own TV/Film studio equipped with Professional/Broadcast equipment.
The tutor for this course is a senior Broadcast Program Maker with over 30 years experience with the BBC. He is currently a freelance Director of Photography working on feature length films.
What will we cover?
• Camera theory and operation: white balance, exposure, framing and reframing, focusing, depth-of-field, basic camera movement, using a tripod.
• Lighting: understanding the behaviour of light, studio lighting. Natural versus artificial light.
• Sound: understanding the behaviour of sound, selecting and using microphones, sound recording techniques,
• Basics of editing
• Basic drama & documentary making skills.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform basic camera set up and perform a white balance
- Frame, focus and expose shots appropriately
- Light simple setups.
- Select and use microphones produce good quality recordings.
- Understand the theory behind what you do.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners class.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Speak English fluently and clearly.
• To read a script accurately.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Take notes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A practical course including theoretical explanation, demonstration and hands on exercises.
Handouts will be given, for study outside the class.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Note book and pen.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Film making intensive.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details