What is the course about?
This course will keep able flautists practising and playing with others. Develop your technique and musicianship tools for playing, and learn new repertoire for solo and ensemble.
What will we cover?
- continuation and development of previous learning i.e. tone, technique, embouchure, articulation, breath and vibrato, phrasing, posture, dynamics
- aural perception, improvisation, sight reading, memorisation, musical interpretation
- musical theory and style through a varied repertoire
- solo and ensemble performance. Tutor : Angele Veltmeijer.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- play with better tone, tuning and expressive range
- show improved articulation breath control and a more flexible embouchure
- demonstrate an enhanced sense of rhythm, better sight reading
- show improvement in finger technique and scales
- perform a range of repertoire
- play in ensemble pieces with greater confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have at least 3 years' experience of playing and have reached a standard of grade 4 - 5.
Grade 4 requirements are bflat and B major to the 12th; 2 octaves of D, A, Eflat major, C minor, G minor, D minor and F sharp minor. 2 octaves of chromatic scale. You should be able to sight read in simple time.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will play as a group, in unison, and in 2, 3, 4 parts as well as solo.There will be the opportunity to play with a pianist at end of term performances. Teaching is through demonstration, listening to flute recordings and other students. Practice between classes is essential.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to buy some music for the course - advice will be given by the tutor. Most ensemble music will be provided. You may also need to write some notes in class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may repeat Flute level 4 modules if you wish, in order to consolidate your learning further.
You may also be interested in one of our classical jazz & popular ensembles, such as: Chamber music ensembles, City Lit Wind Ensemble, City Lit Big Band 2, Jazz flute, Play popular music of the non-Western world, Skiffle, Township tunes or Jazz harmony & ear training.
City Lit also offers a wide range of Musicianship and Music Appreciation courses.