What is the course about?
For students to expand their flute playing skills and musical understanding, to gain confidence and enjoyment through progression in their abilities.
Tutor: Lindsey Fillingham [external website].
What will we cover?
- Continuation and development of all previous learning i.e. tone, technique, articulation, intonation, embouchure, breathing, phrasing, dynamics, vibrato, posture.
- Aural perception, develop the ability to sight-read and memorise, extend technique and musical interpretation.
- Improvisation and creative approaches to practising and performing.
- Expand our understanding of music theory, style and context through varied repertoire.
- Preparation to play in concerts at City Lit.
- Support for graded examinations if requested.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have an integrated understanding of practical skills and theoretical knowledge
- play with better tone and intonation
- have improved your embouchure, articulation, finger technique, and breath control.
- have an enhanced sense of interpretation and performance practice
- have a more developed sense of rhythm, improved skills in listening, improvising, sight-reading and memorising
- have a broader knowledge of flute repertoire
- have more experience of playing solo, with piano accompaniment and in an ensemble.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For grade 5 players and graduates of level 4 flute.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group work - playing in unison and in parts as well as solo, with piano accompaniment. Demonstrations by tutor. Listening to flute recordings. Instrumental practice between classes is expected.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Trinity College : Flute exam pieces grade 5 (2017-2020)
Faber : 76 graded studies for Flute, Book 1.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Wind ensemble, orchestras, examinations.